A week from today we share the We are Family documentary. Posters and tickets are made. Invitations sent. Hor d’oeuvres for VIP party ordered. I’m looking forward to seeing many friends from our IPS and Tech family.
As I reflect on the work of making this movie over the last six years I am thankful. Here’s my list of thankfulness.
- I’m thankful for the Tech coaches who in the summer of 2013 gave me permission to film the season.
- I’m thankful for my son Julian who was with me from day one shooting footage and who organized all the video files.
- I’m thankful for Tremayne Reed who made a killer trailer for the movie and who helped edit the movie.
- I’m thankful for all the others who worked on the video part of this project: Paul Baumgarten, Tanner Halbig, and Casey Roberts who let us use his studio.
- I’m thankful for all the musicians who made the story come alive with their great music.
- I’m thankful for the players, coaches, fans, alumni, etc. who were willing to be interviewed.
- I’m thankful for the 110 Kickstarter supporters who gave 25K to make the making of this movie possible.
- I’m thankful for the sponsors and donors who made this exclusive screening event possible.
- I’m thankful for IPS where my kids went to school when we lived in Indy. I hope this movie helps to change the way IPS is viewed.
- And I’m especially thankful for my right hand man David Lichty who worked long and hard to make this movie. The small financial compensation I was able to give him does not come close to representing the hundreds of hours of blood, toil, sweet and tears he gave to this project.
But most of all I’m thankful for my family who supported me and sacrificed a lot as I worked on the film
- Jenny has graciously allowed me to spend a significant amount of money to make this film.
- And each of my kids gave generously to the Kickstarter campaign to raise funds for the movie. For example, my son Judah who was in high school at the time, gave $600.
- Finally, Jenny and the kids have had to live with my stress, my late nights, my absence, etc. to make this movie. They have made real sacrifices along the way.
Jenny, you are the wind beneath my wings. My kids, I you are my strength and my joy!
In sum, I’m thankful for all the collaborators who have brought the movie to completion and for this opportunity to share this inspiring story with a broader audience.